Friday, March 13, 2015

Work or Stay At Home


Before I got pregnant with our first daughter, now three years old, I had a long discussion with my husband about whether or not I would continue to work. I was making a pretty decent salary, but then I worked out some numbers. It is a numbers game here because I could've kept working. I could've paid for daycare. I could've, but I didn't and it all came down to numbers. Well, numbers and the fact I didn't want some stranger practically raising our child. For some, they have no choice in the matter, but I was and am very fortunate to be able to stay home to care for my family. 

So, there we were discussing our future or more-so, my working future and I laid it all out for my husband. If I continued to work, practically my entire salary would be paying for daycare. Let me repeat, "My entire salary!" I would be working for the sole purpose of having one child in daycare. What was the point of that? It didn't make sense. And forget about the fact that we now have twins. My whole paycheck plus some of my husband's would be paying for it. How ridiculous is that? I really don't know how both parents who work do it, let alone single parents. 

The daycare scene is a money maker, definitely. I'm on Long Island, New York, so I'm not sure what it's like in other parts of New York or in other states, but here, the price to put your child in daycare is costly. I guess it should be since you want the people who are taking care of your children to be happy. If they get paid very little or it isn't a very nice facility, then you might have issues. So I guess expensive daycare equals quality care? Who knows. All I know is I don't have to know. My situation is a blessing. So to all those working moms out there, I hope you are getting the best quality care for your children. To all those SAHM's, I hope you're giving the best quality care. In the end, it's all about the Benjamin's...and Katie's...and Joey's...and Jennifer's...and.....

No comments:

Post a Comment