Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What does "Identical" mean again?


I really am amazed sometimes at the stupidity of others. This stupidity of not knowing what the word "identical" means when it comes to twins.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
identical
adjective
1.     similar in every way
2.     being the very same; selfsame
3.     agreeing exactly


identical twin
noun
     one of a pair of twins who develop from a single fertilized ovum and therefore have the same genotype, are of the same sex, and usually resemble each other closely.


fraternal twin
noun
     one of a pair of twins, not necessarily resembling each other, or of the same sex, that develop from two separately fertilized ova.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The definition escapes so many people.
  1. When I went in for my first post-natal checkup at my obstetrician's office, the nurse asked me what the sex of my twins were. I said a boy and a girl. She then asked me if they are identical.
  2. I was talking with the receptionist at my children's pediatrician's office who has twins herself. I was talking to her about this very subject after she came over to see my twins. I said people ask the most stupid questions sometimes, like, "are they identical?" She laughed a little then in all seriousness asked, "well, are they identical?"
  3. A teacher, whom my mother works with, asked if they are identical and my mother replied with, "No. They are a boy and a girl. How could they be identical?" The teacher was confused and said she thought it had something to do with their facial features looking similar.

I shake my head and roll my eyes so many times it hurts. Come on people. Smarten up!


No comments:

Post a Comment