Thursday, March 19, 2015

Photography Skills Help When You Are A Parent

My family thinks I'm weird when it comes to taking photographs of my kids. Hey, I'm an artist and photographer (Janet E Gorman Photography). Of course I'm weird and a bit of a perfectionist. This is what I do with my photography skills as a mother...

1. I take monthly shots to show the growth of my kids. I tried going to Sears Photo Studio when my toddler was three months old. HORRIBLE! Just horrible. Luckily I'm a photographer, 'cause I will never have to endure the disasters they call portraits, again.


2. I don't always take great photos of my kids. Sometimes I just want to be a mom taking pictures. With three kids to run me wild, I sometimes have to grab the camera quickly and just point, shoot, and hope for the best. Most of the time, those are the best photos anyway. Random and in the moment.


4. But when I want a good photograph, I take a lot to get it just right.


5. Sometimes I have to do a little finagling to get everyone to look the way I want.


Yup. I take different parts, in the case above, my son's and my toddler's heads, and re-do them. I don't do it all the time. In fact, I rarely have to do it, but this is one shot that called for it.
FYI - I only re-did my son's head because my husband didn't like the tilt of the head our son had. So I guess I'm not the only weird one.


No comments:

Post a Comment