Tuesday, May 5, 2015

I Love You, Mommy

So simple, those four words. So simple and yet so powerful in their meaning. "I love you, Mommy." Out of nowhere I hear those four words. Out of nowhere I hear a sweet little voice whisper them to me and I think for a moment, what does "I love you" mean to a three year old?

Even before Lily was born I loved her. From the moment she was conceived at my fertility doctor's office, with my husband standing next to me with the highest of hopes, I loved her. Our Rainbow Baby. I told her every day, throughout the day while rubbing my belly. When she was born, I whispered it in her ear as I held her close, "I love you, Lily."

1/14/2012 - Lily's Birth Day

I know what those words mean to me. They mean that I will always and forever be on her side. Her needs will always come before mine. She will never be without a piece of my heart and so she will always feel my love even when I am no longer here (which goes for all three of my babies). But, I wonder... what do those words mean to a three year old? Does she really know what love is? Does she say those words because I so often say them to her? No. I believe she knows. I believe she gets it now just like she gets what being sorry is. She knows that I am her mommy and I will always protect her and be here for her and for that, she loves me.

3/1/2015 - Selfie fun

Out of nowhere I hear a sweet little voice whisper, "I love you, Mommy" and in that moment I feel alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment